- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon pure honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups
- Combine egg whites, pure honey and vanilla extract. Pour honey mixture into
sugar. With your hands, thoroughly combine sugar and honey until you have a
consistency similar to wet sand. You know you have the right mix if you can
form a ball by squeezing the sugar in your hand.
- Tightly pack the sugar mix into the molds and wipe off excess.
- Invert onto a flat surface and allow to dry for 24 hours.
- You are now ready to decorate your skulls! You can use royal icing*, sequins,
and/or edible paint to create your own masterpiece. Have fun!
- * Royal Icing: 1 egg white for every 3 cups of powdered sugar. Add food coloring
of your choice. Mix ingredients until completely blended.
Makes 50 small calaveritas.
Reprinted with permission from
the National Honey Board.