- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 (8 1/2-inch long) pretzel rods, halved
- 2 (1 ounce) chocolate candy coating squares, melted
- 1 (4.25 ounce) tube red or orange decorating frosting
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add brown sugar, beating until blended.
- Add flour and salt, beating until blended.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Shape dough into 16 (1 1/4-inch) balls.
- Place pretzel rods on ungreased baking sheets.
- Press a ball of dough onto cut end of each pretzel. Press dough firmly with
a fork to resemble broom bristles.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheets on wire racks for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks
to cool completely.
- Place brooms on wax paper.
- Spoon melted candy coating over pretzel and cookie where they join; let
stand until firm.
- Decorate as desired with colored frosting.
Yield: 16 cookies
Source: Southern Living magazine