- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) margarine, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 1/2 cups Quaker Oats (quick or
old fashioned, uncooked)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Flat wooden sticks
- Prepared vanilla frosting
- Assorted candies
(such as candy corn, spearmint leaves, chocolate pieces, candy-coated chocolate
- In large bowl, beat sugar and margarine until creamy.
- Add eggs and milk; beat well.
- Add combined oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix
- Cover; chill about 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch diameter balls. Place 3 inches apart on ungreased
cookie sheet. Insert a flat wooden stick into side of each ball of dough. Using
bottom of glass dipped in sugar, flatten to form 2 3/4-inch diameter circles.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
- Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack.
- Cool completely.
- Decorate as desired with frosting and candies.
Yield: about 2 1/2 dozen
Reprinted with permission from