- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon solid vegetable shortening
- Cocoa powder
- Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Lightly grease and flour baking sheets OR line with parchment paper.
- Pipe 15 mounds, 1 1/2 inches in diameter, onto the cookie sheets (the mushroom
- Smooth tops with a wet finger.
- Pipe remaining egg white mixture into 15 upright 1-1/4" lengths (the mushroom
- Bake for 1 3/4 hours.
- Turn off oven and cool in oven for 30 minutes. Cool completely.
- With a sharp knife, cut a small hole in underside of each mound, or cap.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening until smooth.
- Spread underside of cap with chocolate and attach stem to cap.
- Let dry, upside down, on wax paper until chocolate is set.
- Just before serving, sift cocoa through strainer over tops of mushrooms.