- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon solid vegetable shortening
- Cocoa powder
- Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Lightly grease and flour baking sheets OR line with parchment paper.
- Pipe 15 mounds, 1 1/2 inches in diameter, onto the cookie sheets (the mushroom
- Smooth tops with a wet finger.
- Pipe remaining egg white mixture into 15 upright 1-1/4" lengths (the mushroom
- Bake for 1 3/4 hours.
- Turn off oven and cool in oven for 30 minutes. Cool completely.
- With a sharp knife, cut a small hole in underside of each mound, or cap.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening until smooth.
- Spread underside of cap with chocolate and attach stem to cap.
- Let dry, upside down, on wax paper until chocolate is set.
- Just before serving, sift cocoa through strainer over tops of mushrooms.
Other Halloween recipes you may like...
Bone Chillin' Breadsticks and Halloween Dip
Halloween Dipped Marshmallow Puffs
Spooky Eyeball Tacos
Spook-tacular Chocolate-Dipped Pretzels