Skeleton Bone Cookies
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 3/4 cups (350g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups (245g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) salted almonds, slivered or chopped
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites and sugar with orange
peel and baking powder until blended.
- Gradually add nuts and flour, beating until mixture is thoroughly blended.
- Cover and chill until firm enough to handle, at least an hour or up to a
- Lightly flour your hands and pinch off a three-tablespoon size piece of
dough. On a lightly floured board, use the palms of both hands to evenly roll
an 8-inch (20 cm) long rope. Cut rope in half; roll each half out again to 8
inches (20 cm). Fold an inch of each end back onto rope and pinch ends to make
- Repeat to shape all the dough.
- Place bones an inch apart on a buttered and flour-dusted baking sheets.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for about 20 minutes until cookies
are lightly browned on bottoms.