- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated
- 1 egg
- 3 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Black licorice whips, black jellybeans, black decorating gel, assorted
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Cream butter and sugar in mixing bowl until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and then melted chocolate.
- Beat in flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt until combined.
- Divide dough in half and shape each half into a roll about 8 inches long.
- Wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices and place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie
- Bake until cookies are set when lightly touched, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Combine cream cheese and confectioners' sugar.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon of frosting on half of the cookies.
- Top with remaining cookies and spread additional frosting on top.
- Decorate the cookies with "spiders," using jellybeans for bodies
and licorice for legs.
- To make cobweb cookies, squeeze a small amount of black gel on the middle
of the cookie. Use the end of a toothpick to draw gel from the middle of the
cookies to edges. Then put gel across to connect the gel lines in a cobweb pattern.
- Cookies can also be decorated with a variety of ready-made Halloween recipes
- Once frosted, keep cookies refrigerated.
Yield: 32 servings
Recipe used with permission from
the American Dairy Association.