Spooky Halloween Tree
Are you hungry? Munch on the leaves from this easy-to-make Halloween tree!
- 1 package Betty Crocker SuperMoist white or yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Liquid or paste orange food color
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Stir together about half of the cake mix (dry), the shortening, butter,
vanilla extract, egg and food color in large bowl thoroughly, using spoon. Stir
in remaining cake mix.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured cloth-covered
board, using cloth-covered rolling pin.
- Cut into desired shapes with 2 1/2-inch cookie cutters; cutting out eyes,
nose, etc., if desired, using sharp knife.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 6 to 8 minutes or just until set (centers
will be soft).
- Cool for 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet.
- Immediately make hole in tops of some cookies, using end of plastic straw;
trim any cut edges with sharp knife to straighten.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Tie ribbon or yarn through holes to hang.
- Hang ornaments on tree branches anchored in a pot or on Halloween tree (available
at craft stores).
- Decorate remaining cookies as desired.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) - No changes.
Reprinted with permission from
Betty Crocker/General Mills.