Zombie Eye Pinwheel Cookies
You won't be staring at this plate of cookies for too long. They'll be gobbled up in no time!
- 1 cup C&H® Golden Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Green food coloring
- Royal Icing
- Black food coloring
- Red food-safe marker
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.
- Beat brown sugar and butter in large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla; beat until creamy.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture.
- Divide dough in half.
- Add cocoa to one-half dough.
- Add 1-2 drops of green food coloring to remaining dough.
- Roll dough separately on floured waxed paper into 2 rectangles, about 1/4
inch thickness. Top one with the other and press together with a rolling pin.
Roll up lengthwise, jelly roll fashion.
- Trim edges; wrap and chill.
- When firm, cut roll into 1/4-inch slices and bake on prepared cookie sheets
- To Make Zombie Eyes: Prepare Royal Icing.
- Tint half of the icing with 1-2 drops of black food coloring.
- Leave remaining half white.
- Spoon small amount of white icing in center of cookie. Allow to dry.
- Spoon a small amount of black icing on top of white icing.
- Allow to dry.
- Use a red food-safe marker to create bloodshot marks.
Yields: 3 dozen cookies
To keep their round shape, be sure to chill dough thoroughly before slicing it
with a sharp knife. Rotate the roll as you slice it.
To spice these pinwheels up, add 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
or ground cloves to the flour mixture.
Recipe and photo credit: C&H Sugar Company, Inc. - chsugar.com