Ghost Cake with Flaming Eyes
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix with pudding
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (7.2 ounce) package fluffy white frosting mix
- 1 cup water
- 2 sugar cubes
- Licorice string
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Prepare the cake mix as directed on package. (When you break the eggs, crack
each in the middle and pour out the egg. Then save the 2 best shell halves.
Wash these halves and turn upside down to dry.)
- After mixing, pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool cake 10 minutes on rack; then remove from the pan to a 16 x 12-inch
- After the cake is cool, measure across one short edge of the cake and mark
the center with a wooden pick. Measure 4 inches down each long edge and mark
- Prepare the frosting as directed on package.
- Cut the cake between the center wooden pick and side picks in a curve to
make a rounded top for the ghost's head. Slice the cut corners down the sides
to about the center of the cake. Turn the corners so the cut sides are up, to
make arms that look as if they're reaching out. Attach the arms to the sides
of the cake with some of the frosting.
- Frost the cake.
- Place the 2 egg shell halves round sides down on cake for eyes.
- Place 1 sugar cube in each shell half.
- Make a mouth of licorice string.
- Just before serving, pour 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract over each sugar cube.
- Light the cubes. Lights off, it'll be spooky!
Other Halloween recipes you may like...