This is a perfect cookie for Halloween trick-or-treaters!
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons warm water
- 1/4 cup raisins for decorating
- In large bowl, cream shortening, sugar, egg and warmed molasses.
- Dissolve baking soda in warm water and add to egg mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Slowly add flour, spices and salt. Mix until well blended.
- Cover and chill for 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.
- Roll out dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch on a floured surface.
- Cut out gingerbread men using cookie cutters and place 2 inches apart on
- Use raisins to make eyes, noses and buttons.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let cool on wire racks.
- Finishing touches: Use icing to make "X"s for eyes, bloody gashes
and decorate accordingly.
Other Halloween recipes you may like...
Bone Chillin' Breadsticks and Halloween Dip
Halloween Dipped Marshmallow Puffs
Spooky Eyeball Tacos
Spook-tacular Chocolate-Dipped Pretzels