This is a perfect cookie for Halloween trick-or-treaters!
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons warm water
- 1/4 cup raisins for decorating
- In large bowl, cream shortening, sugar, egg and warmed molasses.
- Dissolve baking soda in warm water and add to egg mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Slowly add flour, spices and salt. Mix until well blended.
- Cover and chill for 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.
- Roll out dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch on a floured surface.
- Cut out gingerbread men using cookie cutters and place 2 inches apart on
- Use raisins to make eyes, noses and buttons.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let cool on wire racks.
- Finishing touches: Use icing to make "X"s for eyes, bloody gashes
and decorate accordingly.
Other Halloween recipes you may like...