Haunted Gingerbread House
Create a creepy gingerbread house decorated with your favorite candies and cookies.
It's a fun project for the entire family!
Gingerbread and Decorations
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup full-flavor molasses
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 1/2
cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Assorted candies and cookies
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
or margarine, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
tablespoon full-flavor molasses
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9-inch square pan and 15 x 10 x 1-inch rectangular
- In large bowl, mix brown sugar, shortening and molasses until well blended.
- Stir in cold water.
- Stir in remaining gingerbread ingredients except candies.
- Press one-third of dough into square pan; press remaining dough into rectangular
- Bake 1 pan at a time about 15 minutes or until no indentation remains when touched
- Cool for 5 minutes; turn upside down onto large cutting surface.
- Immediately cut as shown in diagram (cut windows if desired).
- Cool completely, about 25 minutes.
- In medium bowl, mix 1 cup of the powdered sugar and remaining frosting ingredients
- Stir in enough remaining powdered sugar to make stiff frosting. (If frosting
becomes too stiff, stir in additional milk.)
- Decorate front of house as desired using frosting and assorted candies and cookies.
- For windows as shown in photo, cut yellow tissue paper slightly larger than outline
of windows. Brush paper with vegetable oil and "glue" to back side of windows, using
- Use frosting to attach supports to back of house, sidewalk to front of house,
door and sign to front of house and fence to sidewalk.
- Complete decorating as desired.
Yield: 30 servings
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 155 (Calories from Fat 35 ); Total
Fat 4 g (Saturated Fat 1 g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 110 mg; Total Carbohydrate
28 g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 2 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2 %; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 8 %; Iron 12 %
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 Fruit; 1/2 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photographs used with permission from
Betty Crocker/General Mills.