- 3 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 container (1 pound) Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy vanilla frosting
- 1 tablespoon chocolate-flavored syrup
- 1 box (4 ounces) waffle ice cream bowls (10 bowls)
- 1 box (4.5 ounces) Betty Crocker® Fruit by the Foot® chewy fruit snack rolls (6 rolls)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 12-cup fluted tube cake pan with shortening;
- In large bowl, beat all ingredients except frosting, syrup, waffle bowls
and fruit snack with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center
comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about
- Place cake on serving plate.
- Stir together frosting and syrup; reserve 1/4 cup of the frosting.
- Spread remaining frosting over cake.
- For straw hat, place 1 waffle bowl upside down in center of cake.
- Stack 5 more bowls on first bowl.
- For hair, cut fruit snack into 14 (6-inch) strips and 14 (5-inch) strips.
Cut each strip lengthwise to within 1 inch of top of strip. Place one 6-inch
and 5-inch strip together, pressing together at uncut ends.
- Repeat with remaining strips.
- Randomly press pairs of strips on top of two-thirds of cake, overlapping
as needed and allowing strips to hang over side of cake.
- Spread reserved 1/4 cup frosting over top of hair.
- For brim of hat, break remaining waffle bowls into 5 or 6 pieces each. Randomly
press waffle pieces on top of cake, overlapping and tucking pieces as needed.
Allow waffle pieces to hang over side of cake and over fruit snack strips.
- Cut pieces of remaining fruit snack for eyes and nose; press on cake.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Decrease butter to 3/4 cup, buttermilk to 3/4 cup
and baking soda to 1 1/2 teaspoons. Increase water to 1 cup. Bake 1 hour 5 minutes
to 1 hour 10 minutes.
Having a fund-raiser or bake sale? Sell raffle tickets for this cake. Lucky someone!
Use your favorite Betty Crocker® cake mix instead of making the scratch cake
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 390 (Calories from Fat 130); Total
Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat 2g); Cholesterol 50mg; Sodium 300mg; Total
Carbohydrate 62g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 37g); Protein 5g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 4%; Iron 10%
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 2 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 4
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit: Betty Crocker © 2009 ®/TM General Mills
Other Halloween recipes you may like...