Scary Witch Cake
Dress up a cake mix with a few imaginative ingredients, and the results are wickedly
- 1 box (18.25 ounces) Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup Halloween multicolored candy sprinkles
- 1 container (1 pound) Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy vanilla frosting
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 8 drops green food color
- 1 waffle cone
- Black decorating icing (from 6.4-ounce can)
- Assorted large gumdrops
- 2 pieces candy corn
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray bottom only of 13 x 9-inch pan with cooking
- In large bowl with electric mixer, beat cake mix, water, oil and eggs on
low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl constantly.
With rubber spatula, fold in candy sprinkles.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 29 to 34 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In small bowl, mix frosting and 1/8 teaspoon green food color until well
- Spread frosting over cake.
- To form witch’s hat, insert waffle cone at an angle into top center of cake
until rounded edge is level with surface of cake. Tip of cone should be raised
about 2 inches directly above top edge of cake pan.
- With toothpick make 5 inch long oval outline of witch’s face directly below
- Immediately drop 8 drops green food color randomly over surface of frosting,
avoiding "witch’s face"; swirl with knife.
- Using ribbon tip, frost "witch’s hat" with black icing; add a "brim" around
the base of the "hat" and frost small areas below her face to resemble a cape.
- Cut and shape gumdrops as desired to resemble, eyebrows, eyes, nose, mouth,
hat buckle and cape button.
- Cut candy corn into smaller pieces and add to resemble teeth.
- Use drawing tip in black icing to draw witch’s hair.
Prep Time 40 Minutes
Total Time 2:15 Hrs:Mins
To make decorating easier, draw lines with a toothpick in the frosting on top
of the cake. Simply follow the lines when applying the icing from the can for the
hat or cape. Success Gumdrops can be flattened and cut into any desired shape with
a knife or kitchen scissors. To flatten the gumdrop, place on well-sugared surface
and flatten with a rolling pin.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving (1 Serving) Calories 530 o (Calories from
Fat 200), Total Fat 22g o (Saturated Fat 6g, o Trans Fat 3 1/2g), Cholesterol 55mg;
Sodium 430mg; Total Carbohydrate 80g o Dietary Fiber 0g, o Sugars 63g), Protein
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 6%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 4 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 4 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 5
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit: Betty Crocker/© 2010 ®/TM General Mills
Other Halloween recipes you may like...