Sweet Spider Cupcakes
These spooky spider web cupcakes are perfect for the next gathering of little
ghosts and goblins.
- 1 package (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla
- McCormick® Assorted Food Colors & Egg Dye
- 1 container (16 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chocolate frosting
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package, adding vanilla to batter.
- Tint cake batter orange with 1/4 teaspoon each yellow and red food color.
- Bake as directed on package for cupcakes.
- Cool cupcakes on wire rack.
- Mix desired food color into vanilla frosting (see Tinting Frosting tip).
- Frost cupcakes.
- Place chocolate frosting into small plastic bag. Snip off a tiny corner
of the bag. Squeeze out 3 thin circles of frosting onto each cupcake, beginning
at the center. Starting at the smallest circle, pull frosting through all three
circles using a toothpick. Repeat at even intervals 5 or 6 times around the
- For additional decorations, place purchased plastic spider on top of cupcake,
if desired. (For an edible spider, use black gumdrop for spider body, and pipe
8 legs of frosting around gumdrop.).
- For Purple frosting, use 5 drops purple McCormick® Assorted NEON! Food Colors &
Egg Dye for each 1/2 cup of frosting.
- For Orange frosting, use 5 drops red and 9 drops yellow McCormick® Assorted Food
Colors & Egg Dye for each 1/2 of cup frosting. Mix until well blended.
Test Kitchen Tip: For easier measurement, 1/4 teaspoon Food Color = 20 to 25
Nutritional information (amount per serving) Calories: 225 Sodium: 199mg
Fat: 9g Carbohydrates: 34g Cholesterol: 26mg Protein: 2g Fiber: 0g
Reprinted with permission from