- Oil for frying
- 4 large russet potatoes
- Heat the oil to 325 degrees F in a deep fryer or large heavy, deep skillet.
- Peel the potatoes and slice lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Cut the potato slices into bat shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Pat the slices dry with a paper towel.
- Fry the slices in small batches until cooked through but not brown.
- Remove from the fat and let drain on the paper towels.
- Increase the temperature of the oil to 375 degrees F and re-fry the potatoes
in small batches until brown and crispy.
- Drain again on paper towels, salt, and serve hot.
Yield: 6 servings