- 4 pounds pearl onions
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups light cream
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 3 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- Parboil the onions with their skins on for a minute.
- Immediately rinse with cold water. Slice off the root end and squeeze the
onions out of their skins.
- Return the onions to the saucepan and simmer in enough water to cover for
10 minutes, until they are tender. Be careful not to overcook. The onions should
still be firm and retain their shape.
- Drain the onions and leave in the colander for a minute.
- In the same saucepan melt the butter.
- Add the flour and mix well. Stirring constantly, pour the cream in very
slowly. Cook the sauce over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sauce
- Add the spices and the onions and cook just until the onions are reheated.
- Pour into a serving dish and sprinkle with additional nutmeg if desired.