Dinner in a Pumpkin
Serve this delicious stew with a tossed salad and cornbread.
- 1 (8 to 10 pound) pumpkin
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Italian herbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1/4 tablespoon pepper
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup regular rice, uncooked
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 pound green beans, freshly cooked
- Rinse pumpkin, cut off top and scrape out and discard seeds.
- Cook ground beef slightly; drain off grease.
- Add onion and garlic, and sauté slightly.
- Add seasonings and tomato juice; heat.
- Mix with uncooked rice.
- Shred cabbage and cut green beans into 1-inch pieces.
- Layer one-third each of cabbage, green beans, rice and meat mixture in pumpkin
placed in a large baking dish or pan with sides.
- Repeat layers.
- Replace pumpkin lid.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until done. Pumpkin is done
when it is soft when pierced with a fork.