A wonderful baked penne with sausage and garlic recipe.
- 2 whole garlic heads
- 1 pound sweet turkey Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup (2 1/2 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 cups hot cooked penne (1 pound uncooked)
- Cooking spray
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove white paper skin from garlic heads (do not peel or separate cloves).
Wrap each head separately in foil.
- Bake for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes.
- Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Set garlic
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over
medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Place sausage in a large bowl; stir
in sage and rosemary.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour to the melted butter, stirring with a whisk.
- Gradually add the milk; cook until slightly thick, stirring constantly with
a whisk (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in roasted garlic, cheeses, salt, and pepper.
- Remove mixture from heat.
- Add 5 1/2 cups cheese sauce and cooked pasta to sausage, stirring to coat.
- Spoon pasta mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Top with remaining sauce.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Yield: 10 servings