- 3 large baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- Food coloring
- White pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 eggs, separated
- Snipped chives
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Scrub the potatoes well and prick thoroughly. Arrange the potatoes on a
baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Slice each potato in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the potato flesh,
leaving sturdy shells behind.
- Replace the shells on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until
crisp and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, press the potato flesh through a ricer or mash. Beat the potatoes
with the butter, half-and-half, salt, white pepper, nutmeg and egg yolks until
- In a clean bowl with clean beaters, whip the egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the potato mixture.
- Spoon the potato mixture back into the potato shells.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the potato mixture rises and turns a lovely
golden brown color.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the snipped chives, and serve hot.