Ghostly Shepherd's Pie
Treat your little ghosts and goblins to a tummy-warming stew that looks them
right in the eye!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups Green Giant frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained
- 1 (12 ounce) jar home-style beef gravy
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/4 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray 12-inch skillet with cooking spray. Cook beef and onion in skillet
over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain.
- Set 12 peas (from frozen vegetables) aside for garnish.
- Add remaining frozen vegetables, tomatoes and gravy to beef mixture. Heat
to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring
occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, heat water, butter and garlic powder to boiling.
- Remove from heat; add milk.
- Stir in potato flakes and cheese.
- Add egg; blend well.
- Spoon beef mixture into ungreased 8-inch square (2-quart) or oval (2 1/2-quart)
glass baking dish.
- With large spoon, make 6 mounds of potato mixture on top of beef mixture
to resemble ghosts.
- Place 2 reserved peas on each mound to resemble eyes.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are set and mixture is thoroughly
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):