Goblin Fingers and Toes
- 14 manicotti shells
- 28 medium white mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 2 pounds ricotta cheese
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- White pepper
- 3 cups favorite smooth tomato sauce
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease individual baking dishes or a large
- Cook the manicotti shells according to the package directions until al dente,
but not too soft.
- Drain well and toss to remove most of the water.
- While the manicotti is cooking, clean the mushrooms well and toss with the
lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Beat the eggs, ricotta, half the Parmesan, half the mozzarella and the spices
in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Pour the sauce into the prepared baking dish(es).
- Stuff the manicotti with the ricotta mixture using a long handled small
spoon or a pastry bag and tip. The filling should be packed, but not so tightly
that it cracks or breaks the shells.
- Add a mushroom to the end of each shell and place in the baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cover and sprinkle the remaining cheeses over the bones.
- Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the filling is hot and the
cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.
Yield: 6 servings