Gory Gorilla Tonsils
Gory Gorilla Tonsils are served with paprika "blood specks."
- 2 dozen Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces American cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 10 to 12 iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Wash the Brussels sprouts and remove any discolored leaves. Trim off the
stem ends and cut an X into the bottom of each sprout to make sure your tonsils
cook nice and tender. Place the sprouts in a pot containing about 2 inches of
water and sprinkle with the salt. Cover the pot and cook over medium heat until
- After 8 to 10 minutes, carefully stab a few sprouts with a fork to see if
they're tender. When you can easily pierce them through to their centers, remove
the pot from the heat and carefully drain the sprouts in a colander.
- Place the grated cheese in a small saucepan and add the milk. Simmer over
low heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon until the cheese melts.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat as soon as the cheese melts.
- Arrange a bed of washed lettuce leaves on a platter.
- Place the gorilla tonsils - in pairs, of course - on the leaves.
- Drizzle the melted cheese (pus) over the tonsils.
- Sprinkle with paprika (blood specks) and serve.