Pasta with Pumpkin and Sausage
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs sage leaves, chiffonade cut
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or fresh grated
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- 1 pound penne pasta, cooked al dente
- Heat a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon
of olive oil to the pan and brown the sausage.
- Transfer sausage to paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain fat from skillet and return pan to the stove.
- Add the remaining tablespoon oil, and then the garlic and onion. Sauté for
3 to 5 minutes until the onions are tender.
- Add bay leaf, sage and wine to the pan. Reduce wine by half - about 2 minutes.
- Add stock and pumpkin and stir to combine, stirring sauce until it comes
to a bubble.
- Return sausage to pan, reduce heat, and stir in cream.
- Season the sauce with the cinnamon and nutmeg, and salt and pepper, to taste.
Simmer mixture for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken sauce.
- Return drained pasta to the pot you cooked it in.
- Remove the bay leaf from sauce and pour the sausage pumpkin sauce over pasta.
- Combine sauce and pasta and toss over low heat for 1 minute.
- Garnish the pasta with lots of shaved cheese and sage leaves.