This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Penne with Fresh Pumpkin Sauce
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup canned solid pack pumpkin
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- 1/2 pound penne or other tubular pasta
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- Freshly grated Parmesan as an accompaniment
- In a large skillet cook the onion, bell pepper and garlic in the butter
over moderate heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the pumpkin, broth, water, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
Simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, in a kettle of salted boiling water boil the
penne until it is al dente.
- Ladle out and reserve about 1 cup of the cooking water, and drain the penne
- Add the penne to the sauce. Cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring
and thinning the sauce as desired with some of the reserved cooking water, for
1 to 2 minutes, or until the pasta is coated well.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Divide the pasta between 2 plates and serve it with the Parmesan cheese.