Rotten Cauliflower Bake
- 1 pound coarsely chopped purple cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 minced shallots
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange the cauliflower in a shallow casserole dish.
- In a small frying pan, sauté the shallots in 1 tablespoon butter over medium
heat until soft.
- At the same time melt 1/2 cup butter over low heat in a small saucepan.
Once the butter is melted add the flour and mix well. While stirring constantly,
increase the heat to medium high. Cook the flour mixture for 3 minutes, then
add the half and half and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken stock, salt, and white pepper and return to a boil.
- Add the shallots.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the cauliflower.
- Sprinkle with the bread crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the parmesan.
- Return to the oven right before serving and bake for about 5 minutes, or
until the cheese melts.