Popcorn Witch's Hat and Broomsticks
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light molasses
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 quarts warm popped popcorn
- Licorice strings
- Candy corn
- Wooden skewers
* 1 ounce of unpopped popcorn kernels (2 tablespoons household measure) makes
approximately 1 quart of popped popcorn.
- Combine sugar, molasses, water and salt in a heavy saucepan. Place over
medium heat and cook, stirring until sugar dissolves. Wash sugar from sides
of pan with a wet brush. Cook to 270 degrees F (soft-crack stage on a candy
- Remove from heat; stir in butter.
- Pour glaze over popcorn and mix well.
- Shape as directed below.
- Witch's Hat: Pack 1 recipe of mixture into a large buttered funnel or
similarly slanted bowl. Immediately turn out the mold and finish shaping into
a pointed cone with hands. Cool. To assemble hat, place popcorn cone on a 12-inch
black cardboard circle or a 12-inch plate. Decorate brim of hat with candy corn
and licorice string tie.
- Broomsticks: Make 1 recipe. Measure 1 cup of mixture to shape into each
broom head. Insert wooden skewer for handle. Wrap with licorice string. Licorice
strings also may be cut in 2 1/2-inch lengths and used for broom straws.
Yield: approximately 9 brooms