Smiling Skull Popcorn Treat
You need a candy thermometer for this recipe.
- 12 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into thin slices
- 2 teaspoons caramel candy flavoring (optional) *
- Black gumdrops
* available in specialty food stores
- Place popcorn in buttered large oven-proof bowl.
- lace in oven at 170 degrees F to keep warm. (Remove bowl when ready to mix
with cooked syrup.)
- Lightly coat a skull-shaped pan with cooking spray or, if pan is unavailable,
spray a double sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil shaped into form of a skull.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in 3-quart heavy saucepan.
- Add butter and place pan over medium heat, stirring with wooden spoon until
all sugar dissolves. Wash down sides of pan with pastry brush dipped in hot
water. Use candy thermometer and continue cooking until temperature reaches
240 degrees F.
- Remove from heat and stir in caramel candy flavoring.
- Pour sugar mixture over warmed popcorn and toss with 2 forks until corn
is evenly coated.
- Spread into prepared skull form and press slightly to hold popcorn together.
- Carefully unmold onto foil-covered board or cookie sheet.
- Set aside to completely harden.
- To decorate, use rolling pin and roll out black gumdrops.
- Cut out gumdrops to form eyes, nose and mouth.
Serves 6 to 8.
Nutrition information per 1/8 serving: Calories 310; Carbohydrates 73 g;
Protein 1 g; Fat 3 g; including sat. fat 2 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 73 mg; Calcium
4 mg; Dietary fiber 2 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 5 other carb. exch., and 1/2 fat exch.