The Swarm (Candied Pumpkin Seeds)
This snack is so addictive you may want to double the recipe for a crowd. The
raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas) crisp up as they cool so don't be concerned if they
seem soft when you pull them from the oven.
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) chili
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) each salt and
- 2 cups (500 mL) raw pepitas (green hulled pumpkin seeds)
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or grease; set aside.
- In bowl, beat egg white until soft peaks form, about 1 minute; beat in sugar,
chili powder, cinnamon, salt and cayenne.
- Fold in pepitas to coat; spread evenly on prepared pans.
- Bake in top and bottom thirds of 350 degree F (180 degree C) oven, stirring
once and rotating and switching pans halfway through, until puffed and slightly
darkened, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool on pan on rack; break up clumps.
Makes 2 cups.
Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 2 days.
Posted by Olga at the Cutting Board Forum 19 October 2008 03:23 pm.
Source: Canadian Living Magazine: November 2006