Ham and Asparagus Flan
Yield: 6 servings
- 175g (6 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 125g (4 ounces) butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon water
- 15g (1/2 ounce) butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 125g (4 ounces) cooked ham, diced very small
- 75g (3 ounces) asparagus tips, blanched
- 2 medium size eggs
- 142ml (5 ounce) carton whipping cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sift the flour into a bowl and stir in the butter and water. Press the mixture into the base and up the sides of a 20 cm (8-inch) fluted flan tin. Prick the base with a fork and bake blind in a preheated oven 200 degrees C, 400 degrees F, Gas Mark 6 for 15 minutes, removing the lining paper and baking beans for the last 5 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a pan and add the onion; fry for 5 to 6 minutes until golden. Cool slightly and spread over the base of the pastry case.
- Arrange the ham and asparagus spears on top.
- Beat together the eggs, cream and seasoning to taste and pour into the flan case.
- Return to the oven for a further 30 to 35 minutes until the filling is set and golden.
- Serve hot or cold with a crisp green salad.