Heart Healthy Alfredo Sauce
- 1 (32 ounce) container organic plain yogurt
- 3 cups non-fat chicken broth
- 1 cup skimmed evaporated milk
- 1 cup Yogurt Cheese
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese*
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Yogurt Cheese: Line a colander with about 8 layers of cheesecloth
and place it into a bowl. Scoop the yogurt into the middle of the
cheesecloth. The rule of thumb is to allow one cup of yogurt to produce
1/3 cup of Yogurt Cheese. So for this recipe, use three cups of yogurt
to produce 1 cup of Yogurt Cheese.
- Place the yogurt in the refrigerator and allow it to drain for about
6 to 12 hours depending on how think you would like the yogurt cheese to
- Discard the whey that has collected in the bowl. (or use the whey as
a substitute for milk or water in bread, muffin or cake recipes.
- Store yogurt cheese in a container with a lid in the refrigerator.
It will keep for about a week. Use it just like cream cheese.
- Sauce: Combine broth and milk in sauce pan and cook over medium heat, stirring
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt cheese and cornstarch, mixing into a smooth paste.
Add a little skim milk, if necessary, to make mixing easier.
- Remove about 1/2 cup of the milk and broth mixture and combine with the
yogurt cheese, tempering the yogurt cheese so it does not separate when adding
to the hot milk and broth.
- Add the tempered yogurt cheese to the remainder of the broth and milk in
the saucepan and whisk in well. Cook, whisking constantly, just until thick
and bubbly. Do not boil, or the sauce will separate.
- Stir in the 1 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and stir until melted
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
For a complete main meal dish, add your favorite cooked vegetables, chicken
or seafood (or a combination of all three) and serve over linguine or any pasta
of your choice.
* Try to use freshly grated Parmesan cheese whenever possible. It melts very
well and the taste is far superior to the canned variety. If the canned variety
is all you have on hand, go ahead and use it. The sauce will still taste good, but
it will not be as smooth and creamy.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Heart-Healthy Recipes