Light-as-a-Feather Whole Wheat Pancakes
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Preheat griddle.
- In medium bowl, stir or sift dry ingredients together; beat egg, buttermilk,
brown sugar and oil together. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened;
batter should be slightly lumpy.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter for each cake onto a well-seasoned hot griddle. Flip
the pancake when bubbles appear on surface; turn only once.
Makes 12 (4-inch) pancakes.
- Omit soda, use 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1 1/3 cups 2%
- Add 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries.
- Serve hot, chunky, spiced
applesauce or thick fruit sauce over cakes instead of syrup for extra nutrition
Nutrition: Each pancake provides approximately: 78 calories, 3 g protein,
12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g fat (0 g saturated), 19 mg cholesterol, 9 mcg
folate, 1 mg iron, 178 mg sodium
Reprinted with permission from
the Wheat Foods Council.