Mixed Bean Soup with Pasta
Great served in warm homemade bread bowls.
To lower the sodium content of this soup either purchase unsalted beans, or simply rinse the canned beans thoroughly before using. You can also purchase unsalted vegetable stock and tomatoes. As you can see by the recipe we have not ADDED any salt; only herbs and pepper as our seasonings.
- 3 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 2 medium carrots, trimmed, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 medium stalk celery ribs, washed and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3/4 cup onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 cup dry pasta, Penne or Rotini
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Pepper to taste
- In large soup pot combine everything except pasta, vinegar, and black pepper;
bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered
until carrots are tender crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar and season with pepper.
- Serve in warm bread bowls.
Yield: 12 servings
Calories/Serving: 164 calories/serving
Nutrition: One serving provides approximately: 164 calories, 8 g protein,
32 g carbohydrates, 9 g fiber, 2 g fat (0 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 41 mcg
folate, 3 mg iron and 613 mg sodium (which could be reduced by following the "TIP"
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Wheat Foods Council
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.