- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup red or green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chick-peas, rinsed an drained
- 3/4 cup uncooked couscous
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, pepper,
mushrooms, carrots and garlic; sauté 2 minutes.
- Mix in chicken broth, cumin, salt, pepper, cilantro and chick-peas. Bring
to a boil. Stir in Couscous, remove from heat and cover; let stand 5 minutes
or until liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork and serve immediately.
Nutrition: One serving provides approximately: 246 calories; 9 g protein;
38 g carbohydrates; 6 g fat (1 g saturated); 6 g fiber; 0 mg cholesterol; 69 mcg
folate; 2 mg iron; 548 mg sodium
Recipe and photo credit: Wheat Foods Council