Sunflower Pumpkin Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup roasted sunflower kernels (if not salted, add 1/2 teaspoon salt)
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons roasted sunflower kernels
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Muffins: Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking
soda. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine pumpkin, egg, milk and oil; add to dry ingredients
and stir only until ingredients are combined.
- Stir in oats and kernels.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Topping: Combine all of the ingredients, stir until crumbly and sprinkle
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
Yield: 12 muffins
Nutrition: One serving provides approximately: 230 calories, 5 g protein,
31 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 10 g fat (2 g saturated), 18 mg cholesterol, 41 mcg
folate, 2 mg iron, 269 mg sodium
Source: Submitted by National Sunflower Association
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Wheat Foods Council
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Heart-Healthy Recipes