Vegetable Stew with Cracked
Wheat in Bread Bowl
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can low-fat chicken broth
- 2/3 cup cracked wheat
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic
and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add zucchini and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, tomatoes, chicken broth, and
wheat. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, add kidney beans, green beans and parsley; simmer until heated
- Ladle about 1 1/3 cups into each bread bowl.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition: Each serving provides approximately: 292 calories; 16 g protein;
45 g carbohydrates; 14 g fiber; 7 g fat (2 g saturated); 8 mg cholesterol; 75 mcg
folate; 2 mg iron; 980 mg sodium
Recipe and photo credit: Wheat Foods Council