Wheat Berry Chili
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 3 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 4 teaspoons chili powder, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans
- Salt, to taste
- Cook wheat in 3 cups of water for 1 hour until tender; add more water if
- Rinse with cool water and drain thoroughly.
- In the microwave on medium heat, cook onion, green and yellow pepper for
1 minute, or until desired softness.
- In a 4-quart pot, combine remaining ingredients with microwaved vegetables.
- On stovetop, bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 1 hour or until desired
consistency is reached, stirring occasionally.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition: Each serving provides approximately: 220 calories, 13 g protein,
45 g carbohydrates, 11 g fiber, 1 g fat (0 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 19 mcg
folate, 4 mg iron, 845 mg sodium
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Wheat Foods Council
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Heart-Healthy Recipes