Whole Wheat Chapattis
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups water, lukewarm (105 degrees 115 degrees F), divided
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Make a well in the center and pour
in 1 cup of water and oil. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup water, continuing
to mix until flour absorbs water. Knead dough until smooth and elastic, about
5 to 8 minutes. Do not add more flour.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide into 16 equal pieces and roll each into thin rounds, 6 to 7-inches
in diameter. Use a light dusting of flour if necessary when rolling out. Do
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Place one chapatti on the
griddle and cook for about 10 seconds; flip chapatti and cook for 1 minute,
flip again and cook about 1 minute. Bread should puff up and have an even distribution
of brown spots.
- Place on a clean dish towel and lightly brush top with butter, if desired.
- Keep chapattis warm on a baking sheet in preheated oven, loosely covered
with foil. Serve warm.
- To eat, tear chapattis in pieces or use as a wrap—simply fill, roll and
Yield: 16 rounds
Variation: Use 3 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour.
Nutrition: One chapatti provides approximately: 135 calories; 5 g protein;
24 g carbohydrates; 2 g fat (0 g saturated); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g fiber; 16 mcg
folate; 1 mg iron; 291 mg sodium
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Wheat Foods Council
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.