Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Jennie-O Turkey Sausage (*optional)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 ounces Cabot Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 4 cups fresh cheese tortellini
- ½ cup light cream
- 4 ounces baby greens (spinach, kale, chard, etc.)
- 4 ounces (1 cup) Cabot Farmhouse Reserve Cheddar, grated
- Freshly chopped basil for garnish
*For vegetarian option - omit turkey sausage and use vegetable broth.
- Turn the Instant Pot on to Sauté mode. Once hot, add the olive oil and
turkey sausage (if using) breaking the sausage into small pieces as it cooks
with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add onions (or start with this step if not using sausage) to the pot
once sausage is mostly browned and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes
- Add garlic, cook an additional 30 seconds – 1 minute until fragrant then
add tomato paste, red pepper flakes, dried basil, salt and pepper. Stir to
combine and cook for 20-30 seconds.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and broth to the pot and give everything a few
stirs until well combined.
- Place the lid of the Instant Pot on and set valve to sealing position.
Press manual pressure cook button and set to 15 minutes.
- When Instant Pot signals the end of the cooking time by beeping, release
pressure manually by carefully turning the valve to venting position.
- Slowly remove lid once pressure is fully released and turn the Instant
Pot back on to Sauté mode.
- Add the cream cheese to the pot and stir for a few minutes until
dissolved in the soup.
- Add the tortellini to the pot and cook according to package directions
for al dente, usually about 7 minutes for fresh tortellini.
- Add the cream and baby greens, stir until incorporated and greens begin
- Turn the Instant Pot off and add the grated cheddar just before serving.
Garnish each bowl with freshly chopped basil.
Prep: 10 min | Cook: 25 min | 4 servings
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Recipe and photograph courtesy of