IP Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani)
This is a Punjabi dish of chicken in a mildly-spiced curry sauce.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 8 green cardamom pods
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can full fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Hot cooked Basmati Rice
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Melt the butter and oil together in the bowl of the IP on the SAUTE setting.
Add the onions and stir to coat, cooking until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken, cooking until the chicken is opaque, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, curry powder, red curry paste, garam masala, ground
ginger, cardamom pods, and tomato paste and stir until it is fragrant and it is
all distributed evenly.
- Turn off the IP and stir in the coconut milk
until a smooth sauce forms around the chicken.
- Fix the IP lid in place, set the top knob away from vent, and
manually set the pressure to HIGH for 10 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up,
carefully turn the knob on top to VENT.
- Remove the lid and remove the cardamom
pods. Stir in the yogurt until you have a smooth sauce.
- Serve the Butter Chicken over hot cooked basmati rice. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
Cook's Note: You can add the cardamom pods to a little square of muslin tied
with kitchen twine or a fillable tea bag to make it easier to remove after
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Instant Pot Recipes