IP Chile con Carne
This Instant Pot Chili Con Carne makes quick work of a dish that usually
takes hours and hours of simmering; meltingly tender cubes of beef in a
spice-packed, garlicky chile pepper sauce. This warms you from the inside
out and becomes the stuff of legend when topped with Cabot cheese, sour
cream, chopped green onions, cilantro, and fresh avocado.
Chile con Carne
- 6 whole dried chiles (I used half Chiles California/New Mexico and half Chiles Arbol.), stems and seeds removed
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, stems and seeds removed
- 1 quart low-sodium beef broth or chicken broth
- 3 pounds beef chuck steak, preferably 1 to 2 inches thick, trimmed of excess gristle and fat
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced or pressed in a garlic press
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons masa (finely ground corn flour)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or fish sauce or 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
Additional Ingredients for Serving
- Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar and/or Cabot Monterey Jack Cheese
- Cabot Sour Cream
- Hot sauce
- Chopped green onions
- Fresh cilantro
- Ripe avocado slices or chunks
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Press the Sauté button and then Adjust + once on your Instant Pot. Place
the chiles into the open pot, working in batches if needed. When they become
fragrant (about 2 minutes) flip them over and repeat. Transfer the chiles to
a heat proof bowl. Add the chipotles and broth, cover, and microwave for 3
minutes, or until very hot. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Drizzle about a tablespoon of the oil into the Instant Pot. Generously
sprinkle both sides of the chuck steak with salt and pepper. Cut in half or
quarters if needed to fit into the Instant Pot.
- Add about 1/3 to 1/2 of the meat into the pot and let it sear, without
moving it, for about 5 minutes, or until the bottom is a deep, rich brown.
Flip the meat and sear 3 minutes on the second side. Transfer to a cutting
board. Add a teaspoon of oil and sear the remaining meat. Transfer this meat
to the cutting board as well. Let the meat rest until it is comfortable to
handle and slice into 1 1/2- 2 inch cubes.
- Transfer the chile peppers and the broth to a blender while the meat
rests. Remove the vent plug for the blender lid, place a folded paper towel
or kitchen towel over it, then hold that in place with the vent plug. Start
the blender at the lowest setting and slowly move it up to high, blending
until the contents are perfectly smooth, about 1 minute.
- Press the Adjust - button twice. Add the remaining oil to the pot, then
add the onions in with a pinch of kosher salt, stirring to coat evenly. Stir
the onions frequently, scraping the bottom of the pot, cooking for about 2
minutes, or until the onions become fragrant and translucent at the edges.
As the onions cook, they should release some juices which will help loosen
the flavorful browned bits from the pot.
- Sprinkle the cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves over
the onion and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the contents of the blender and stir well, scraping the bottom
of the pan to incorporate any remaining fond. Add the beef cubes along with
any accumulated liquid to the pot. Press “Stop.” Fix the lid in place,
making sure the vent is closed, and set it manually to HIGH for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, release the pressure, and check the beef. If it is
done, it will be tender enough to fall apart easily. If it is still somewhat
tough, close the lid and set the pot manually to HIGH for another 15
minutes. It may take up to 1 hour of total pressure cooking time to get the
beef meltingly tender.
- When the beef is very tender, press the Sauté then Adjust+ buttons once
again. While stirring, sprinkle the masa over the top of the chili until
incorporated. Stir in the vinegar and soy sauce or fish sauce or anchovy
- To serve: Reheat chili and serve by itself or over cooked rice, topped
with Cabot cheese, Cabot Sour Cream, hot sauce, chopped green onions and
cilantro, and slices of avocado.
Prep: 20 min | Cook: 1 hr | Total: 1 hr 20 min
** For the best results, refrigerate this chili for 1 to 3 days before
serving. The flavors continue to develop as it sits.
Courtesy of Rebecca Lindamood.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Instant Pot Recipes