Pinto Beans and Ham Hocks
- 1 (1-pound) package Camellia Brand Pinto Beans
- 1 large smoked ham hock
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 dried red chile peppers or 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Rinse and sort beans.
- Put the beans and ham hock in the Instant Pot with onion, chiles, salt,
pepper, and water or broth. Twist to lock the lid, and turn the valve to
- Cook at high pressure 40 minutes, and then let the pressure release
naturally for 20 minutes.
- Turn the valve to venting. Unlock lid, and remove ham hocks with tongs.
Discard skin, bones and cartilage. Chop or shred ham and stir back into
- If desired, to make beans creamier, put a ladle or two into a small
bowl, and mash with a potato masher or fork. Stir back into the pot. Serve
sprinkled with green onions.
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 40 min | Yield: 6 servings
- Refrigerate beans overnight. The next day, the liquid will have
thickened, and fat can be removed from the surface.
- Reheat beans by the bowlful in the microwave, or in a saucepan on top of
the stove over medium heat until steaming.
- Freezes well.
Recipe adapted from the stovetop version featured in the cookbook Field Peas
to Foie Gras: Southern Recipes with a French Accent by Jennifer Hill Booker,
photography by Deborah Whitlaw Llewellyn (Pelican Publishing, 2014).
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Instant Pot Recipes