Sorghum Breakfast Hash Bowl
with Chorizo, Squash and Eggs
A good hash makes for a heavenly meal, and this Sorghum Breakfast Hash
doesn’t disappoint. Best of all, the recipe comes together in your Instant Pot
for a convenient, one-pot meal. Top the delicious hash off with queso fresco and
cilantro and pair with freshly made toast.
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain sorghum
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup diced sweet red bell pepper
- 1/2 pound Mexican-style chorizo, casings removed, crumbled
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons mild chili powder
- 2 cups cubed zucchini
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine sorghum and water in the Instant Pot®. Secure the lid on the pot.
Close the pressure-release valve. Select manual and cook at high pressure for 20
- When cooking is complete, use a natural release method to depressurize.
- Drain the sorghum in a fine-mesh strainer and set aside. Wipe inner pot
dry and replace.
- Select saute and adjust to normal. Add oil to pot. When oil is hot, add
onion, chorizo, bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic, and chili powder. Cook and
stir until vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the butternut and broth and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until
butternut begins to soften.
- Add cooked sorghum, zucchini, and spinach and stir to heat through and
- Make 4 wells in the sorghum mixture and carefully crack an egg into each
well. Put the lid on the pot but do not secure and continue to cook on saute
until eggs are cooked to desired doneness, about 5 minutes for softly set.
- Divide sorghum hash and egss among 4 shallow serving bowls. Top with
sliced avocado and sprinkle with cheese and cilantro.
Recipe and photo credit: