Beef Baked with Yogurt and Black Pepper
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 3 onions, minced
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper
- 1 1/4 cups plain yogurt, beaten lightly
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a wide, flameproof casserole type pot over a medium high flame.
When hot, put in as many meat pieces as the pot will hold easily in a single layer.
Brown the meat pieces on all sides and set them aside in a deep plate. Brown all
the meat this way, then remove.
- Put the onions and garlic into the same pot and turn the heat down to medium.
Stir and fry the onion-garlic mixture for about 10 minutes or until it has browned.
- Now put in the browned meat as well as any juices that might have accumulated
in the plate. Also put in the ginger, cayenne, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir for
- Now put in the yogurt and bring to a simmer. Cover tightly, first with aluminum
foil and then with a lid, and bake for 1 1/2 hours. The meat should be tender by
now. If it is not tender, add 1/2 cup of boiling water, cover tightly, and bake
another 20 to 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Stir meat gently before serving.
Serves 4 to 6.
Per Serving: 863 Cal (63% from Fat, 32% from Protein, 5% from Carb); 69 g
Protein; 59 g Tot Fat; 10 g Carb; 2 g Fiber; 55 mg Calcium; 9 mg Iron; 1324 mg Sodium;
227 mg Cholesterol
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.