Beef with Black Mushrooms
- 10 Chinese black mushrooms
- 1/2 pound flank steak
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil plus 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger root, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 cup bamboo shoots, drained, rinsed and cubed
- 1 teaspoon cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 scallion, shredded
- Place mushrooms in bowl; cover with 1 cup warm water, and soak for 10 minutes.
Drain, discard tough stems and quarter the caps. Set aside.
- Trim all fat from meat, and slice in thin strips across the grain of the meat.
Place in bowl.
- Mix 2 teaspoons cornstarch with 4 teaspoons cold water; add to meat. Add egg
white and stir to coat meat. Set aside.
- Mix remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch with 4 teaspoons cold water; reserve.
- Heat a wok over high heat for 30 seconds. Add 1/2 cup oil and swirl around wok.
Add 1/2 teaspoon each ginger and garlic and the beef mix; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from wok, draining oil. Put 2 tablespoons oil in wok and heat. Stir-fry
remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic and ginger until brown. Add reserved beef mix, bamboo
shoots, mushrooms and wine. Stir-fry over high heat for 1 minute.
- Add soy sauce, chicken stock, salt and pepper. Thicken with reserved cornstarch
mix, stirring gently. Pour into serving dish, and garnish with shredded scallion.
Yield: 4 servings
Per Serving: 195 Cal (59% from Fat, 34% from Protein, 7% from Carb); 17 g
Protein; 13 g Tot Fat; 3 g Carb; 0 g Fiber; 8 mg Calcium; 2 mg Iron; 145 mg Sodium;
38 mg Cholesterol