Chicken Acapulco with Creamy Shrimp Sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 pound shrimp, lightly cooked, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 pound Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, halved and pounded flat
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 12 (6-inch) long strings
- Oil, for frying
Creamy Shrimp Sauce
- 3 shallots, diced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound small shrimp
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3/4 pound butter
- Roast Peppers: Place poblano peppers under the broiler and char on all sides.
Put in plastic bag and freeze 10 minutes.
- Remove from freezer, rub off peel, then slit to remove seeds under running water.
- Chicken: Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium sauté pan, sauté onion, shrimp, and cilantro until the shrimp are almost cooked, about 5 minutes. Place mixture into a bowl, add the cheese and set aside.
- To Assemble: Lay the four prepared chicken breasts flat, skin-side down. Season with salt and white pepper. Layer each breast with one pepper and 2 to 3 tablespoons shrimp/cheese mixture over pepper. Roll each breast tightly to form a cylinder. Tie each cylinder in 3 places, both ends and in the middle.
- In a skillet, heat about 1/4-inch of oil. Lightly brown chicken breasts, one at a time, on all sides. Remove from heat, transfer to a oven-proof dish and bake for 10 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Cut strings and slice chicken into 1-inch roulades (rounds). Drizzle a few tablespoons of Creamy Shrimp Sauce onto a plate and arrange the roulades on top of the sauce.
- Serve warm.
- Creamy Shrimp Sauce: In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine shallots and wine. Cook until reduced by three-fourths. Add stock/broth and shrimp and cook until reduced by half. Add the cream and reduce again by half. Whisk in the butter by tablespoons. Cook until butter melts and sauce is well-blended. Remove from heat.
Yield: 4 servings
Per Serving: 1214 Cal (77% from Fat, 40% from Protein, 3% from Carb); 59 g Protein; 101 g Tot Fat; 9 g Carb; 1 g Fiber; 388 mg Calcium; 6 mg Iron; 1262 mg Sodium; 575 mg Cholesterol
Source: Cafe Noche, 2409 Montrose Boulevard, Houston, Texas