Chicken Prosciutto with Mushroom Sauce
- 3 boneless, skinless whole chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound frozen broccoli
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, grated
- 6 thin slices ham (or prosciutto)
- Place one chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with mallet
until about 1/4 inch thick. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine.
Cook chicken in butter or margarine until lightly browned on both sides, about 5
minutes. Remove the chicken.
- In the same skillet, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter or margarine.
Add the onions and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in
flour and mustard. Gradually add chicken broth, half and half (or gravy) and wine
(or water). Add mushrooms. Cook over low heat until mixture thickens and boils,
- Add 1/2 of the Swiss cheese, and stir until melted.
- Arrange broccoli on the bottom of an ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Spoon
half (2 cups) of the sauce over the broccoli. Alternate ham (prosciutto) and chicken
breasts, slightly overlapping, over the sauce and broccoli down the center of the
dish. Tuck ends of ham slices under the chicken. Pour the remaining sauce over the
chicken. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove from oven, and sprinkle with remaining Swiss cheese, and paprika. Bake
an additional 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Yield: 6 servings
Per Serving: 350 Cal (64% from Fat, 26% from Protein, 9% from Carb); 23 g
Protein; 25 g Tot Fat; 8 g Carb; 1 g Fiber; 215 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 375 mg Sodium;
109 mg Cholesterol