Country Herbed Meat Loaf
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms,
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (28 ounce)
can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon
- 2 Splenda packets
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh
basil (or 2 teaspoons dried, chopped)
- 2 pounds ground beef or combination of ground beef,
pork and veal
- 1 cup pork rinds, crushed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- In a skillet, heat oil over high heat. Sauté the mushrooms, onion and garlic.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper and Splenda. Remove 1 1/2 cups.
- Add water, bay leaf and basil to skillet. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes,
- Meanwhile, combine all meat loaf ingredients with 1 1/2 cups reserved sauce.
- Press into a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan lined with wax paper. Unmold onto a
roasting pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven; drain. Spread 1/2 cup of Herb Sauce over top of meat loaf.
Return to oven for 15 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and serve remaining sauce over individual servings.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Per Serving: 106 Cal (69% from Fat, 17% from Protein, 14% from Carb); 5 g
Protein; 8 g Tot Fat; 4 g Carb; 1 g Fiber; 15 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 23 mg Sodium;
62 mg Cholesterol