Creamy Chicken and Green Beans
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound green beans, cut Into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vermouth
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, shredded
- In a large skillet, arrange chicken breasts; sprinkle with thyme and onion. Add
water; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Remove
chicken; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Heat broiler. Spray a 2 1/2-quart baking pan with non-stick vegetable spray.
- Cook beans in boiling salted water for 8 minutes; drain, reserving 1/2 cup. Spread
beans in prepared baking pan.
- In a large skillet, melt butter; add mushrooms and sauté until lightly browned.
Stir in flour, mustard, salt, nutmeg, and white pepper; cook, stirring constantly,
until bubbly. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in half-and-half and reserved bean
liquid. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Fold in chicken and vermouth.
Spoon over beans. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil, 6 inches from heat source, for 5
minutes or until sauce is lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
Per Serving: 870 Cal (39% from Fat, 53% from Protein, 8% from Carb); 113
g Protein; 37 g Tot Fat; 17 g Carb; 5 g Fiber; 215 mg Calcium; 6 mg Iron; 817 mg
Sodium; 366 mg Cholesterol