Simple Turnip Greens
- 4 1/2 pounds turnip greens
- 1 pound salt pork
- 3 quarts water
- 1/4 teaspoon
- Remove and discard stems and discolored spots from greens. Wash greens thoroughly.
Drain and tear greens into pieces; set aside.
- Slice salt pork at 1-inch intervals cutting to but not through the skin.
- Combine salt pork, 3 quarts water, pepper and, if desired, sugar in a Dutch oven.
Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- Add greens and cook uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes or until tender.
- Serve with a slotted spoon.
Yield: 6 servings
Per Serving: 72 Cal (3% from Fat, 12% from Protein, 85% from Carb); 2 g Protein;
0 g Tot Fat; 17 g Carb; 7 g Fiber; 85 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 987 mg Sodium; 0 mg