A low-fat version that skimps on calories but not on taste.
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (1 package)
- 1 cup almonds or walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon peel, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick), melted
- 3 eggs, large, separated, at room temperature
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, low-fat , softened
- 3/4 cup C&H® Organic Light Agave Nectar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream, low-fat, at room temperature
- Crust: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place two racks in oven; the top for the
cheesecake and the bottom for a water bath (2 inches of warm water in a roasting
- Combine crumbs, nuts and lemon peel. Stir in butter until thoroughly blended.
Press mixture firmly against bottom of 9" springform pan or a 10” round cake pan
lined with parchment paper.
- Filling: In medium bowl, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese until creamy.
- Gradually add agave; blend.
- Add vanilla, cornstarch and lemon peel. Blend well.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, scraping the bowl after each addition. Beat at
medium speed for 5 minutes, until smooth.
- Fold in sour cream.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Pour into springform pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until cheesecake is lightly browned on the edges.
- Turn off the oven and leave cheesecake in the oven for 1 hour with door closed.
- After 1 hour, open door slightly and leave in oven 10 minutes more.
- Remove cheesecake and allow to cool in pan for an additional hour.
- Place in the refrigerator, uncovered, for at least 3 hours
- Remove from springform pan before serving.
Serves 10 to 12.
Recipe and photo credit: C&H Cane Sugar.